How ChatGPT is changing the mobile app marketing game in 2023
Prashansa Shrestha, Content Writer, Adjust, Mar 23, 2023.
In the increasingly competitive and evolving world of mobile marketing, it is critical for app developers and marketers to find ways to stand out from the crowd. One of the latest and most exciting ways to do this is through generative artificial intelligence (AI), such as ChatGPT—a powerful tool that can be leveraged in various ways, from app feature ideation and code development to app store optimization (ASO) and content creation. This article explores ways you can utilize ChatGPT to build compelling apps and enhance marketing campaigns.
What is ChatGPT?
ChatGPT is an AI chatbot introduced by OpenAI in November 2022. The chatbot is based on OpenAI's GPT-3 large language models and has been meticulously fine-tuned using a blend of supervised and reinforcement learning techniques. It is designed to mimic human conversations. With the help of advanced computing techniques and vast amounts of data, ChatGPT can accurately predict and string words together meaningfully, access a diverse array of vocabulary and information, and comprehend words within their context. Additionally, ChatGPT has a distinctive ability to recall previous prompts from the same conversation. It is also incredibly versatile and can perform a wide range of tasks, including:
- Write and debug computer programs
- Summarize text with key points
- Brainstorm new ideas
- Explain complex topics
- Extract data from texts
- Conduct sentiment analysis
- Compose music
- Write plays, poetry, song lyrics, and essays
Advantages of using ChatGPT for app marketing
- Increases efficiency: ChatGPT can automate many marketing tasks, such as generating social media posts, writing blog articles, and responding to customer inquiries. This frees marketing teams to focus on high-level tasks like strategy and analysis.
- Personalization: It can be used to create personalized marketing messages for individual customers, such as customized product recommendations or tailored email marketing campaigns.
- Brainstorming: ChatGPT's ability to generate new ideas and provide fresh perspectives into consumer behavior can help marketing teams think outside the box and develop creative marketing strategies.
- Quick analysis: ChatGPT can extract and analyze data from text, making it easier to identify trends and insights about your target audience.
Things to remember before using ChatGPT for app marketing
- Inaccurate and biased information: ChatGPT occasionally generates responses that sound plausible but are incorrect, biased, or nonsensical. To prevent mistakes, it's essential to fact-check and ensure the content is accurate and up-to-date.
- Sensitive to changes: The model is sensitive to changes in input phrasing or repeating the exact prompt multiple times. Additionally, it often overuses specific phrases.
- Lacks originality and consistent quality: ChatGPT lacks contextual understanding, originality, and a natural tone of voice. The quality of its answers depends on the quality of the questions asked.
How to use ChatGPT for mobile app ideation
Mobile app ideation and development can be complex and challenging. However, with the help of ChatGPT, the process can be made easier and more efficient. For this article, we’ll be forming an idea for a fintech app and creating a marketing campaign for it. Here are the steps to follow:
It is crucial to start with market research before building a successful mobile app that resonates with users. You need to understand your target audience, their needs, and what your competition is doing. You can ask ChatGPT questions about trends, major players, market share, challenges, and areas of promise regarding your app’s vertical.
We used this prompt, “What are the major trends, challenges, and areas of new development in the fintech mobile app industry?” We received four key points for trends, challenges, and new areas of development. Trends included digital walters, AI and machine learning, open banking, and cryptocurrency. The AI mentioned security, regulatory compliance, data privacy, and consumer trust challenges. Finally, for new areas of development, the chatbot talked about embedded finance, sustainability, digital identity, and neo-banking.
Competitor analysis is another crucial step in the process of mobile app ideation. It involves identifying and evaluating the strengths and weaknesses of existing apps similar to the one being developed. This analysis provides valuable insights into the market and user preferences.
We asked ChatGPT, “Who are the key competitors in the money-saving app market, and what are their strengths and weaknesses?” We got the strengths and weaknesses of five of the most popular budgeting and investment apps.
Determining the necessary features for your app before budgeting is essential. ChatGPT can be a valuable tool for exploring feature possibilities and getting inspiration for new ones. This can save you time and money in the long run, resulting in a successful app.
We asked, “I am developing a money-saving mobile app with game mechanics. What features should be included?” The AI suggested we include features such as saving goals, rewards, challenges, social features, personalization, and education.
Generate app names
You can also use ChatGPT to brainstorm a memorable name for your app.
We used the prompt, “Give me ten different name ideas for my money-saving app with game mechanics.”
Our favorites are Save Quest, Thrifty Hero, and Wize Wallet.
How to use ChatGPT for mobile app development
ChatGPT is free, so why not use its state-of-the-art technology while building your app? The machine-learning technology can write code. Although, for now, it’s better with more straightforward requests, we anticipate it will only improve with time. According to NewScientist, ChatGPT can also quickly find and fix bugs in code, saving app developers valuable time.
ChatGPT programming languages include:
5 ways you can use ChatGPT to enhance your mobile marketing efforts
Mobile app marketers who want to improve their campaigns can benefit from ChatGPT. Here are five ways you can use the AI chatbot:
- Audience research
Audience research helps marketers identify, understand and target the right audience for their app. It's essential to tailor marketing messages and improve user acquisition.
We asked the ChatGPT, “Describe the target audience, including key demographics, for money-saving apps with game mechanics.”
You can also define different target personas for your app.
We used the prompt, “Identify different customer personas for money-saving apps with game mechanics.”
- Channel selection
ChatGPT is a valuable tool for identifying the channels where you can reach your target audience and promote your app.
We asked the AI chatbot, “Which channels should I use to reach my target audience and promote my app?”
- App store description
ChatGPT can significantly improve ASO through various methods, including keyword and metadata optimization and localization. With ChatGPT, you can quickly create effective app descriptions to ensure a high confidence score.
We used this prompt for the app store description: "Create five engaging app store descriptions for a money-saving app with game mechanics. The app will help users learn about budgeting and track expenses through gameplay. It will allow users to customize their saving goals and create their own challenges. Users will be rewarded when they meet their goals or complete a challenge. Users can also share their progress and tips and tricks that helped them save more money within the app community.”
- SEO keyword research
ChatGPT can also assist in selecting the best keywords for your app by considering factors such as search volume and competition.
We used this prompt for keyword research for our example app, “Create a list of relevant keywords for a money-saving app with game mechanics. The app focuses on helping users learn about budgeting. It has the following features: customizable saving goals and game challenges, rewards for meeting goals, leaderboards, community section to share saving tips and tricks.”
The AI chatbot gave us the following keywords:
- Content creation
One way to use ChatGPT for content creation is to ask it for topic ideas. You can provide the chatbot with a general idea or a specific keyword, and it will generate a list of related topics for you to explore. This can be a great way to brainstorm new content ideas and find inspiration for your next blog post, article, or video.
You can also use ChatGPT to generate content itself. The chatbot can help you write headlines, intros, and entire paragraphs on a topic. While the quality of the generated content may not always be perfect, it can be a great starting point for your own writing and can help you save time and energy.
For example, we first used this prompt to brainstorm ideas for a blog post: “Give me five blog post ideas on saving money during an economic downturn.”
Then we used one of the suggestions to create the blog post itself. We used this prompt, “Create a blog post titled “Preparing for an economic downturn: How to build a financial safety net.” This blog post should offer advice on preparing for an economic downturn by building a financial safety net, such as creating an emergency fund and paying off debt.”
Best practices for using ChatGPT
Fine-tune your prompts
The quality of the response you get from ChatGPT depends on the quality of the prompt you provide. Before submitting a prompt, make sure it is clear and specific. Refine it until it is focused and concise. This will help ChatGPT understand the context better.
Test different prompts
ChatGPT can generate responses based on a wide range of prompts. This means you can experiment with different prompts to see what works best. Try using different sentence structures, keywords, and levels of specificity to see what generates the most useful responses.
Provide additional context
ChatGPT can generate responses based on the context of the prompt. That’s why it is essential to provide as much context as possible. This can include relevant information about the topic, the audience, and the desired outcome. Providing more context will increase the chances of getting a useful and appropriate response.
ChatGPT is a learning model, which means it can improve with feedback. If you find that the responses you are receiving are not accurate or relevant, provide feedback to the system. This can help ChatGPT to learn from its mistakes and improve its answers in the future.
Pair ChatGPT with other tools and techniques
ChatGPT is a powerful tool, but it is one of many available. Consider using it in conjunction with other tools and techniques to get the best results. For example, you could use ChatGPT to generate content ideas and then use a content analysis tool to refine them further.
5 reasons to integrate ChatGPT into your mobile app
The capabilities ChatGPT could bring to your app can save you time and costs while improving your user experience. Consider the offerings it can bring to your mobile app upon integration.****
- Advanced chatbot: Using Natural Language Processing (NPL), ChatGPT offers a conversational interface (CI) to determine a user’s need, interacting with them via chat, voice, and other NPL elements like menus, images, videos, etc. NPL allows the chatbot to understand the everyday language of a user and respond appropriately, making for an excellent chatbot.
- Customer support: Let the AI model answer users’ top questions and help to resolve any issues, including complex or multi-step ones. This will save major resources while providing customers immediate access to customer support.
- Personalized experience: Quickly learning user preferences, the chatbot can provide users with tailored responses and utilize its Recommendation Engine to offer specific recommendations to users based on their previous in-app actions.
- Language translation: ChatGPT translates text input from one language to another for multilingual apps. Note that this capability is good but still in the early phases and, for now, should be utilized for basic conversations and not complex ones.
- Enhanced search function: This integration in your app will power users’ searches with information from external sources and databases.
How to implement ChatGPT into your mobile app
If convinced, follow these three steps to integrate ChatGPT with your app.
- Set up your account to get a GPT-3 API key, which provides access to the GPT-3 apps.
- Define conversational paths of users and use GPT to write scripts.
- Train the model with business-specific data for more accurate and relevant answers.
Future of app marketing with ChatGPT and other AI
While ChatGPT has already shown remarkable capabilities in generating human-like responses, it has the potential to further develop and enhance its performance in the future. This could be achieved through exposure to more diverse and extensive data training, enabling it to generate more natural responses and better respond to context.
The potential impact of ChatGPT3 on the advertising and marketing industries is enormous. ChatGPT is transforming app marketing by offering marketers new ways to enhance user acquisition, increase conversion, improve retention, and maximize revenue. ChatGPT can create highly targeted campaigns and reach the right users at the right time by identifying user preferences and behaviors through data analysis. This data can also provide personalized recommendations and notifications to users, keeping them engaged in-app.
ChatGPT is just the beginning, and we can expect to see even more advanced and innovative AI-powered marketing tools in the future. Notion, a productivity and note-taking app, introduced its AI after ChatGPT's launch. Google's new AI chatbot tool, Bard, is now also being rolled out, directly competing with ChatGPT. We’re curious to see how generative AI chatbots compare to each other and how they will evolve and influence the mobile app marketing industry.