What is an offerwall?
An offerwall is an app monetization strategy that rewards users for completing specific tasks. Quite literally, a wall of offers is presented to app users allowing them to choose their preferred task and, in some cases, the reward of their choice. Although typical for gaming apps, offerwalls can be used across all verticals.
How does an offerwall work?
Similar to an in-app mini-store, offerwalls act as a marketplace for users and advertisers. Offerwall ads are typically located in high-traffic locations like an app’s menu or store, or they pop up at an optimal time for a user to make use of the rewards, like when they need a hint or another life. Here are a few examples of actions users can choose:
- Watch a video
- Take a survey
- Complete a level
- Start a premium trial
- Level up a subscription
- Make a purchase
- Play a branded mini-game
- Create an account or register a username
Incentives can include:
- One or more lives
- In-app currency
- Time limit extension
- Streak extension
- Temporary premium benefits or features
- A temporary ad-free experience
Keep in mind that the types of offers available vary between iOS and Android.
How to maximize offerwall ads
Ready to get started? Here are some tips to help you use this monetization method to the MAX. (See what we did there? 😉)
- Segment: Offerwalls are not a one-size-fits-all strategy.
- Branding: Match the look and feel of your offerwall to your in-app user experience so users are less likely to see it as an advertisement.
- Keep it fresh: Update task choices regularly so that well-retained players receive new offers and don’t get bored.
- Timing: If you opt for the pop-up method, choose moments that typically lead to your user closing the app.
- Testing: A/B test incentives to see what works for different segments.
Learn how Adjust’s Datascape brings all of your data together for quick, easy marketing analytics.