The Adjust Mobile Measurement Glossary
What is Mobile Marketing?
Mobile marketing is a term that encompasses any promotional activity that takes place on smartphones and other handheld devices including tablets and other cell/mobile phones. The aim of mobile marketing is to reach an audience of mobile users through various methods such as mobile-optimized ads, push notifications and mobile applications.
Why is Mobile Marketing Important?
As of 2017, almost every adult in the developed world owns a smartphone. In the US, the majority of Americans own a smartphone, 77 percent according to Pew research. Pew’s research in 2016 highlighted a year-on-year surge in ownership from 2013 to 2015, with the growing trend predicted to reach 6.1bn users by 2020.
As such, mobile marketing is or must be a core component of an overall advertising strategy. Mobile audiences are so numerous and active (with many only using mobile devices) that to ignore them would come at a greatly missed opportunity.
Types of Mobile Marketing
Mobile marketing ad formats vary, and appear on a range of different platforms, from social media to mobile optimized websites and mobile apps, all offering unique and tailored mobile ad options. Let’s look at a few examples:
- App-based marketing: Mobile advertising which involves mobile apps. Ads hosted on apps can differ, from banner ads to video, and increasingly advanced demos of other apps too.
- Social media marketing: Both organic and paid for ads which appear on mobile social feeds can be great drivers of traffic - social media sites such as Facebook often boast the largest user bases, or highly specific use cases.
- Location-based marketing: Mobile marketing takes advantage of the fact that many users of mobile devices carry them around with them wherever they go. As such, mobile marketers can create ads that appear on mobile devices based upon a user’s location relative to a business or specific area. For example, some advertisers may only want their mobile ads to appear when users are within a 1-mile radius of their business.
- Mobile search ads: Search engines often offer specific ad types built for mobile. These can create specific benefits for an improved user experience, such as click-to-call functions, or instant directions.
- SMS: SMS marketing involves texting a user’s phone number with specific offers, or notifications of upcoming deals.
Mobile Marketing and Adjust
Adjust can track all of your in-app advertising activity for you while providing app marketers with extremely powerful features that not only make life easy but actively build on what you’re trying to accomplish. From accurate analytics to best-in-class mobile attribution, Adjust helps track performance to help you identify what works, and what can be improved on. Features such as fraud prevention help keep your data (and your ad budgets) intact, and our SDK is not only open source but takes no time to set up.